Compliance and Customisation: How do I choose the best access cover?
Looking for the perfect access cover for your site but unsure what to take into consideration first? Here is your top three:
- Work health and safety
- Adequate Access
What are access covers?
AAccess covers are opening hatches that provide access to below ground chambers such as pump station wells, valve pits and pipeline manholes. They are made of steel, aluminium or concrete.
Access covers have to follow compliance standards such as:
- Australian Standard for Workplace Health, Safety and Environmental
- Confined Space Entry
- Working at Heights
- Industrial Fall Arrest Systems and Device
Results of Inadequate Access Cover Applications
Non-compliant and incompetent installation of access covers pose a real risk of hazards such as:
- Trip hazards due to raised hinges, handles and locks, or covers not sitting flush with ground level
- Fugitive odours as a result of gaps and holes in the access covers or absence of gaskets
- Fall hazards due to non-compliant safety nets or non-engineered handrails without deflection
Choosing the Right Access Cover
There are three key elements to consider, choosing the right access cover for the pit on your site. These can be listed as follows:
- Size:The clear opening of an access cover refers to the scale of the frame of access cover. It is essential to match the clear opening with the cross section of the pit to meet the Australian safety standards and requirements.
- Traffic and Surroundings:Considering vehicle and pedestrian traffic is important choosing an access cover because these parameters decide the load rating of the access cover. Also, deciding on the finished surface before installation will be a wise approach to allow the access cover blend in with its surroundings.
- Access: Restriction and security measures should be considered at the selection phase of the right access cover. A simple padlock might be more than enough for some sites, but that doesn’t mean it will be adequate everywhere.
Why choose Access Covers by OdourPro?
At OdourPro, we put together high-quality access covers with our 25 years of industry experience. Our team work on every design requirement piece by piece which leads to best practice access cover applications. As an instance, our access covers are made from 316 stainless and marine grade aluminium, imported from the USA, and provides 100 per cent elimination of water inflow when submerged during flood periods.
At OdourPro, we want to assure all of our clients that we have what they need. To respond to our customers’ needs with their access covers, we offer various customisation options for:
- Paint finish of the non-slip coating
- Lock box and air & water seals
- Opening systems (single, dual and multiple doors)
- Debris channels
- Frames (channel frames or angular frames)
- Flood protection availability
Compliant and Reliable
We follow very strict guidelines with our process, and comply highest Australian standards. Moreover, we provide lifetime guarantee as we put a lot of pride in our work and product reliability.
The standards we follow for Odourpro access covers are:
- Work Health and Safety Act & Regulations 2011
- State Applicable Codes of Practice for Safe Working at Heights
- AS/NZS 1665-2004 Welding of Aluminium Structures
- AS/NZS 2865.2009 Confined Spaces
- AS/NZS 1891.4.2009 Industrial Fall-Arrest Systems and Devices
- AS/NZS 3996-2006 Access Covers and Grates
Our integrated rated grating and fully flush mounted systems offer worker safety and eliminate all the hazards. In addition to their high standards of safety, OdourPro access covers are spring lift assisted, which makes them easy and safe to open.
Get professional consultation for customisable access covers today.
Call us today on 1800 510 704 for a consultation choosing the best access cover for your site.
OdourPro on 21 November 2016
Do your access covers meet Australian Standards? Discover the common signs of non-compliant access covers here ...Read more